Thursday, June 24, 2010

Super Run = Super Fun



I had watched the Super Run in the past, but this was the first time that I was an actual participant. I was pretty nervous going into the race as this was the first 5K I had done in a couple of years. Also, I still had some lingering stomach pain from the 1/2 IM a few days before. Regardless, I decided to give it a shot. I started near the front of the pack by Matt and Scott Bowe. There were a few other girls up there with me, so I wasn't alone. The run started off quickly and headed down a winding hill. I reached the first mile marker just after reaching the bottom of the hill. I glanced at my watch and was startled to see how fast I'd run; and with no abdominal discomfort/pain. I just hoped I could hold on and not die :) Inevitably, the next 2 miles were slower than the first and a couple of girls passed me. I had some stomach pain and a side stitch, but managed to work through it (although I probably sounded pretty bad--lots of huffing and puffing and grunting). The best part of the race was between miles 2 and 3 when I ran up the big hill with Scott and Jim (see picture above). They really made the hill fun! I ran in the last mile, finished the race, and was pretty happy with my time overall. I am still amazed at how fast 5ks can be and how hard they are! I think I would rather do one as part of a triathlon than stand alone! Great job to all the TriWisconsin and GearGrinder racers, and thanks to John White for organizing a very well-run race!

No comments:

Post a Comment